My Best Friend

By 12:02

Today's post is a little bit more personal and lifestylish than my other posts but I would like to introduce you to my best friend.

Debs 2012- Nice corsage Mark ;)
This here is Mark, I've known him for the past 15 years of my life. I met him on the first day of Primary School, which I must say I don't remember too well, but nevertheless, we may know each other a bit too long! :P I have to be honest and say that in Primary School we were never really that close, to be honest I always though he was a bit strange (no offence Mark :P) but we still got on good when we were younger. As most schoolchildren do, the whole class used to play together during our break time, and Mark even invented his own game, I think we called it "Zombies", where he would run around the playground acting like a zombie chasing all the girls, but to be honest I think it was just his excuse to hug all the girls ;)

September 2012
When it was eventually time for us to bid a farewell to our beloved Primary School and take the big leap down the road to our new school where we would be spending the next 5 or 6 years. I can remember the first day of Secondary School so well. I remember sitting down on the benches in our "Junior GPA" area and our new principal calling out the names of our new class mates as he divided us up into our class groups. I hate to say it but when I heard Mark's name being called after mine the first thought that went through my head was "Oh great I'm stuck with him for at least the next 3 years" (again sorry Mark this is 13 year old me talking :P). But honestly it was one of the best things to ever happen to me in Secondary School, because without that happening I know for sure that there is no way we'd be anyway as close as we are now.

Like any friendship we had our fair share of ups and downs, there were many times where we were screaming our heads off each other before school assembly at 8:50 and best friends again by our small break at 11. We never could stay mad at each other. I think the longest fight we ever had only lasted a full school day, if even that. We are both very protective of each other and sometimes do things when we are asked not to be involved just to stand up for each other, but I wouldn't change it.
Debs 2013

When we were coming up to our final 2 years on Secondary School our classes were being changed again and you'll never guess what happened ;) Yup Mark and I were in the same class again, but this time I was delighted about the fact. We had become even closer and learned so much about each other that we were practically inseparable. But like any good friendship, there was a massive bump in the road when we finished 5th year. Mark moved schools. This literally broke my heart. I had also just recently fallen out with the other person in my class who I considered my best friend at the time. So I was left entering my final year of school alone. 

As hard as it was to maintain our friendship while being in different schools, Mark in school studying for like 13 hours a day plus Saturdays and me trying to focus on my studies and getting into my preferred college course (which didn't work out.. twice.. check out My Leaving Cert Story if you want to know more) but despite all that our friendship became stronger. We rarely saw each other, but thanks to the magic of social media we were able to keep up to date with each other most of the time.
February 2014
And now two years later we have both done our Leaving Certs (mine has been done twice :P) and gone on to different colleges, thankfully both in the same county so we still see each other, and we still haven't grown apart. We have stuck together through thick and thin no matter what the problem was. There has never been anything too big for either of us to want to break apart. No one knows me quite like Mark does and honestly, I'm glad. 

Everyone has that one childhood friend they have been through everything with and Mark is mine. I couldn't have asked for a better best friend. He's always there for me when I need him no matter what. I know I can always count on him in any situation and he will never judge me or not want to help. He is one of the best people that has ever come into my life and I know that no matter what we end up doing or where we go in the future we will always be connected. They say you can't choose your family, but you can choose your friends, I chose Mark as my friend, but he has become my family.
February 2014
I love you lots and lots Mark. Here's to the rest of our lives as besties <3

Thank you for reading my ramblings.
Love ya,
Niamh x


You Might Also Like

0 comments